Water Conservation Emergency Regulations
Although local water supply conditions have improved in 2023, statewide drought emergency regulations are still effect as detailed below:
Water Conservation Regulation Prohibiting Irrigation of Non-Functional Turf:
Effective June 10, 2022, irrigation of non-functional turf with potable water is prohibited for commercial, industrial, and institutional (CII) landscapes in California pursuant to recently adopted State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) regulations.
The State Water Board has defined non-functional turf as, “Turf that is solely ornamental and not regularly used for human recreational purposes or for civic or community events.” The State Water Board’s regulation stipulates that some turf areas are exempt from the turf irrigation ban.
Please note, this emergency regulation does not prohibit watering trees. Trees within non-functional turf areas could be negatively impacted by the ban on turf irrigation, so the regulation allows continued irrigation of trees even if some turf under trees will receive water.
This regulation remains in effect until June 2023, unless the State Water Board takes action to rescind or extend the regulation.
Water Conservation Regulation Prohibiting Water Waste Practices:
On January 18, 2022 the State Water Board adopted an emergency drought regulation due to the severe drought conditions throughout California.
The Emergency Regulation prohibitions include:
- Outdoor watering that allows water runoff onto sidewalks and other areas (except incidental runoff)
- Washing vehicles without an automatic shutoff nozzle
- Washing hard surfaces like driveways or sidewalks that don’t absorb water
- Street cleaning or construction site preparation
- Filling decorative fountains, lakes or ponds without a recirculation pump
- Outdoor watering within 48 hours after at least 1/4 inch of rainfall
- Watering decorative grass on public medians
The emergency regulations will remain in effect until December 2023 unless the State Water Board acts to end, modify or readopt it. Locally, water waste prohibitions are in affect year round. Please check with your local water provider for more information.