Santa Rosa | Urban Garden
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
This garden was transformed by hand and hard work from a hard clay dead lot covered in contractor trash to a lush, safe, haven for hummingbirds, bees, butterflies and songbirds. More than half the garden is drought tolerant and rainwater is used to irrigate when possible. A small orchard provides apricots, fuyu persimmons, pomegranates, figs, plums and apples. Plants are often left to go to seed to benefit seed eating birds, and to reseed themselves the following year. Soil is enhanced by yearly application of compost and mulch. No pesticides or chemicals are allowed!
Plants to Look out For
- Pink Yarrow (Achillea millefolium ‘Island Pink’)
- Narrowleaf Milkweed (Asclepias fascicularis)
- Rockrose (Cistus spp.)
- Red Buckwheat (Eriogonum grande rubescens)
- California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica ‘Ivory Castle’)
- Siskiyou Blue Fescue (Festuca ‘Siskiyou Blue’)
- Gaura (Gaura lindheimeri)
- Lavender (Lavandula spp.)
- Purple Ginny Sage (Salvia coahuilensis ‘Purple Ginny’)
- San Carlos Festival Sage (Salvia microphylla ‘San Carlos Festival’)
A complete printable plant list for Triple B can be downloaded using the blue button below.