Novato | 5,000 sq. ft. Front & Back Gardens
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
This secluded yard, once used as dump site, has been transformed beautifully. With Kim Bertotti’s design help and native plants from Buckeye Nursery, the street and the neighbors were screened out to create a secluded creekside retreat with courtyard front entry and gracious outdoor living space. The garden is the focal point of the home. Enter through the gate and follow a flagstone path through the side yard to a slate patio for entertaining. Mature Podocarpus hedges create a private haven by screening the neighbors on both sides. Artfully placed drought tolerant and habitat plants flank the hardscape. Continue through to the back garden, bordered by Novato Creek, where a former lawn has been replaced with drought tolerant, easy-care plants (including yarrow, iris, penstemon and ferns) chosen to blend into the woodland setting and attract wildlife under the canopy of a large vintage walnut tree. A second patio on permeable surface offers another outdoor living space within a background of neighboring mature oak and riparian trees.
A printable plant list is available to download for this garden.
“Cash-For-Grass” Turf Replacement Incentive!
North Marin Water District is offering residential customers a cash incentive for removing automatically irrigated lawn area in their landscapes and replacing with District approved, low water use planted landscapes. The NMWD incentive will pay you up to $50 per 100 square feet of lawn area. The incentive is limited to $400 for single family dwellings, $100 for townhouses or condominiums, and $50 for apartments.
How can I participate?
- Call NMWD’s Water Conservation Office at (415) 761-8944 and schedule a brief pre-inspection. Rebates are issued only for projects which have been approved in advance.
- After the pre-inspection has been completed and replacement project has been pre-approved, replace your lawn.
- When your replacement project is completed, schedule a post-installation inspection.
- Mail the completed application to NMWD, along with original receipts for plant materials, mulch and irrigation equipment. Be sure to make copies for your own files. If you hire a landscape contractor, ask that materials and labor be billed separately.
- The rebate will be mailed within 4-6 weeks after the application (with applicable original receipts) is received and the post-installation inspection has been completed.
Visit North Marin Water District’s website for more information by clicking HERE.