DIY Lawn Conversion
Barbara and Charles took the hands on approach to converting their 1,800 sq. ft. front lawn to a low maintenance and low water usage landscape. The couple were tired of maintaining the lawn and were looking to conserve water.
Barbara and Charles purchase water from California American Water and were able to take advantage of a turf rebate to offset the cost of their project.
A majority of the plants were purchased from Sonoma County Jail Industries and the couple completed the entire installation themselves, including the brick pathways!
This landscape has been installed for approximately 2 years and provides an excellent opportunity to view a perennial planting that has had the opportunity to mature.
This is a front yard in a quiet residential street that can be viewed from the street.
This landscape includes both moderate and low water use plants. The list below only includes plants with a low WUCOLS water use classification for the North-Central Coast.
- Bulbine frutescens ‘Hallmark’ (Snake Flower)
- Callistemon ‘Little John’ (Little John Bottle Brush)
- Chondropetalum tectorum (Cape Rush)
- Cordyline australis (New Zealand Cabbage Tree)
- Erigeron karvinskianus (Santa Barbara Daisy)
- Festuca glauca (Blue Fescue)
- Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’
- Kniphofia ‘Redhot Popsicle’ (Redhot Popsicle Poker)
- Lonicera nitida ‘Lemon Beauty’ (Lemon Beauty Box Honeysuckle)
- Melianthus major (Honey Bush)
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Hameln’ (Fountain Grass)
- Phormium ‘Duet’, P. Jester’, P. ‘Rainbow’
- Stachys byzantina (Lamb’s Ear)
- Verbena canadensis ‘Homestead Purple’
- Yucca filamentosa ‘Color Guard’
California American Water Turf Removal Program
California American Water offer a turf removal program to their customers in the Larkfield area including:
- Turf Removal Rebate of up to $1.00 per square foot, up to 1,000 square feet or $1,000
- Irrigation Smart Controller Rebate of up to $200 on qualified equipment
A brochure with further information can be downloaded HERE. Please contact California American Water directly for further details and to schedule a pre-inspection.
Water Conservation hotline: (707) 542-1717